Monday, January 14, 2013

Snow Day

I remember sitting in front of our huge tube TV when I was in elementary school at 5:00 in the morning, reading the minuscule marquee print at the bottom of the news channel waiting for my school to report that it would be cancelled for the day.  Those days were as close to heaven-sent miracles as I knew possible at the age of 8.  I was then free to play Sega or legos or pogs to my heart's content.  This morning, we woke up at 6:00 to a pitch black, chilly house.  No lights, no power, no heat.  Lovely.  David found all of my scented candles under the bathroom sink and had a lighting party.  If not heated, at least aromatic.  Around 8:00, we decided to take a little venture out to see what we could see.  We wanted to know how far the power outages went and if there was anything open.  David was not disappointed that school had been cancelled.  I could see a bit of that 8-year-old in his eyes.  While we were at the grocery store buying water (just in case), the power came back on, and we made our way home.  In this three hours of power outage, we realized how truly unprepared we are if we were to be in the middle of a genuine emergency.  The gas light was on in our car, we had no stored water, no cash, no way to cook anything, no flashlights, our lighter died on the first candle David lit...we would be goners!

So much for thinking we are doing alright in the self-sufficiency department! At least we are happy and warm.  We have no shortage of blankets thanks to Hyram.  We'll have to work on the other stuff.  

This is what a snow day looks like at my house:

Love these boys.

1 comment: