Sunday, December 18, 2011

Laundry

R.I.P. dryer numero uno
Sometimes I wonder about people who lived in the olden days.  How did they find each other in crowds without cell phones?  How did they eat without microwaves?  How did they learn anything without Google?  The question I have been wondering most of all is how they did laundry without dryers.  While I am actually well aware and very familiar with the answer to these questions, especially the latter, I am especially grateful for my new (to me) washer and dryer!  Our dryer broke right around Thanksgiving and it has been obnoxious taking loads to the laundromat or pestering our nice neighbor across the hall to dry just one more load.  She really was so kind to help us out.  I remember having to dry everything on lines or drying racks in Spain.  Our clothes were always nice and crunchy.  It was a colorful sight, but obnoxious.
The DR was even worse, we didn't even have a washer, so we either had to wash everything by hand, drag it a mile to the laundromat (which was run by one crazy Slovakian man who had one washer and dryer), or take our suitcase full of dirty clothes to church and pay one of the ladies to do it for us.  What a mess!

Hilary Weeks understands my frustrations with laundry.  It was super fun to see her at Time Out for Women this year with the girls.  This is her take on laundry:
Here are our new washer and dryer that we are so excited about:
My very favorite part is that it only takes one cycle to dry the clothes now!  Before it took three.  Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment