Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fair is Where...

Last year in my class I taught a lesson on fairness.  I had each student write down a pretend sickness or injury that they would need to go to the doctor about.  Then, one at a time, they came into my "medical center" and told me about their malady.  As each student told me of his or her woes, I proceeded to give them the same advice and a band-aid on their right arm, regardless of their problem.  We talked about how fairness is not always equal for everyone.  I treated everyone exactly the same, but that wasn't really fair for the patient with cancer or the one with a dislocated shoulder.  We talked about how fair is when everyone gets what they need.  I made a poster to hang in the classroom that said, "Fair is Where you get Cotton Candy" and invited them to NEVER use the phrase, "That's not fair..." again.  Ever.

Fair is Where You Get Cotton Candy
As the year went along, some kids would forget and make the mistake of saying that dreadful phrase, and the other students would quickly remind them that fair is "where you get cotton candy."  Anyway, that is what I thought about as we entered the East Idaho State Fair last weekend. :)
8 months along...I had my first contractions as we were walking around here!
Buying tickets 
Dinner: Mongolian Beef 
Garet and Kayla 
Yes...that IS a scary shark... 


Pretty sweet petting zoo 



Ice cream...who'd have thought? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment