Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Baby's Daddy

I hear stories sometimes about the tragedies sweeping families in the world.  I meet a lot of these people too.  I've read books and studied the impact our generation is experiencing with the neglect and abandonment of children and women by fathers and husbands.  I've met women who have little to no available options, whether by poor choices of their own or irresponsible and selfish choices of their partners, because they are left as the sole caregiver of their children and have little education, money or life skills to rely upon.  I've cried with many of these women and pondered often how people get themselves into messes like these and wondered why some men can be such idiots.  

Don't get me wrong.  I don't think all men are idiots.  I am not a feminist by any means...at least not in the way we see it today.  Some of my very greatest role models and mentors in life are men, and I believe women are just as capable, if not more so, as men to do most things this world demands of all of us.  It just makes me so sad to see the choices that some people make which lead to such misery and suffering, especially when those choices belong to the man whose God-given role is to protect, provide, and preside over their families that they chose to create in the first place.

It had become somewhat of a cliche and degrading phrase for bitter or abandoned women to refer to the father of their child as "my baby's daddy" for lack of anything more endearing to call the man they usually can't stand.  I wouldn't blame them if they used a less lovely term. As I've been thinking about this and preparing to have my first baby, I have simply been overwhelmed on many occasions by how truly lucky I am.  I know my road to parenthood could be a lot harder.  I've seen it.  I can't help but wonder why I am so blessed to be able to live each day of this life with the man who stands by my side no matter what comes our way.  He is valiant of character and selfless in service.  I really don't know anyone more humble or happy to help.  He works hard, treats other people with dignity, and always tries to do what is honest and kind.  He cares about my swollen feet and listens to my rants about our broken education system.  He understands the importance of validating me and does it often.  He is responsible and trustworthy.  He never yells or belittles. When I come up with some new problem to cry or whine about, he always responds with sympathy and relief.  He is truly a man among a generation of boys posing as men.  I love him dearly for all that he is and tries to become.  I admire him and I couldn't be more grateful for him.  While I feel deeply for those whose "baby's daddies" are not so admirable, I have to say that my baby's daddy is as good as they come and I can't wait for my son to turn out just like his dad.



My Baby's Daddy ;) 
Isn't he cute?!

No comments:

Post a Comment