Sunday, August 19, 2012

Baby Love

Yesterday, David and I spent almost 8 hours at a birthing class.  Whew!  We learned some new things, little tricks and newly discovered no-nos that our earlier generations might try to convince us otherwise on.  Don't use alcohol to clean the umbilical stub, for example.  It actually prevents it from dying up rather than sucking the moisture out, which we previously thought...little tidbits like that, just in case you were wondering.  Overall, it was a fun day.  We broke the day into 5 parts: the third trimester, labor & delivery, postpartum care, new baby care, and a tour of the hospital.  Now we know where to park and check in and everything!  

Last week, I went in for my 28 week appointment and the lab did a glucose screener on me.  Unfortunately, the called me on Tuesday to let me know that my sugar levels were a bit too high.  Ugh...so they had me go in on Wednesday to take a THREE HOUR glucose tolerance test.  Oh my sugary goodness!  I wasn't allowed to eat anything starting when I went to bed the night before.  When I got there, they took my blood and urine and then made me drink the sugariest drink I'd ever had in my life.  It tasted like a three-year-old had made me two cups of Kood-Aid with an entire bag of sugar in it.  Yummmmmm....  Then I waited with my little timer as my baby bagan spazing out on his sugar high.  He went crazy!  When the timer went off, I got to pee again and get my blood drawn again.  This fun little process (minus drinking anything else) went on for three hours and I was able to provide bodily fluids five lovely times.  

Luckily, they called back that afternoon with my results and I do not have gestational diabetes!  Yeah for me!  I just need to be careful about what I eat and make smart, healthy choices.  Nothing too hard to handle and...best of all...I can still eat ice cream.  Crisis averted.

Now, I've completed 29 weeks and we are moving into the final stretch!  Here are some of the fun things we have been doing at home to get ready for our little man:
We bought a dresser.  Now, we just need a changing pad to put on top and diapers...lots of diapers!
We also bought an armoire to hang his little clothes in.  I just need to install the actual rod where the TV would normally go.
We've started working on a theme: Mickey and Minnie :)  Thanks here to Sweet Aunt Rashelle and family for this cute little addition.
More Disney fun...
All of my souvenirs from trips to Disneyland growing up...
And more Mickey and Minne!
We are getting really excited for our little guy to come join our family.  Lately, his name has been the great debate in our house.  These are our most recent choices:
These ones have remained in the race:
Hyram
Corban
Bridger
Jaxon
These have been eliminated, I'm pretty sure:
Asher
Griffin
Emmett
And these are new ones we've added this week:
Quinton or Quincy

Who knows what we'll actually end up calling him!  Lately, David has changed his term of endearment from Winepego to Danger Moses.  Maybe one of those will stick instead. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment